Played at announced times, the sound carrying across the whole district.
Brosen — CC BY 2.5 · Diego Delso — CC BY-SA 3.0 · Andrzej Otrębski — CC BY-SA 4.0 · Man77 — CC BY-SA 4.0
A musical instrument of bells fixed in a tower and linked to a keyboard and pedals that the player presses with hands and feet, producing full melodies rather than mere chimes. It spread through the Netherlands, Belgium and northern Germany from the sixteenth century, and Gdańsk acquired them through its trading links with those regions. Few survive in Poland.
St Mary's first, the largest, with a climbable tower. Then St Nicholas's, the only one whose original interior survived 1945. Then this one for the bells and Hevelius's tomb. All three are a short walk apart and can be seen in half a day.
Sign in to write your review of this place.
No reviews yet — be the first.
The oldest church in Gdańsk, originating in the thirteenth century, north of the old town near the Radunia Canal. Its tower holds a carillon of thirty-seven bells played as a musical instrument from a keyboard — among the few surviving in Poland. Recitals are given at announced times, and the sound carries across the whole district. Johannes Hevelius is buried in the church, the astronomer who drew the first detailed atlas of the moon's surface, and who was a brewer in this city. The church has a history of disaster: it burned more than once, was destroyed in 1945 and rebuilt, then its roof burned again in a major fire in 2006 in which the tower partly collapsed. It was restored afterwards with considerable effort. That makes the visit different from Gdańsk's other churches: here the restoration is recent and continuing, and parts of the interior may be under work. A working place of worship with normally free entry; the carillon tower may be ticketed.
Played at announced times, the sound carrying across the whole district.
The astronomer who lived and worked in this city lies in its oldest church.
Unlike Gdańsk's other churches, the work here is recent and still going on.
Profesorska street, north of the old town